Friday, November 3, 2017

Tender Mercy 3: Saying Goodbye

I LOVED Activity Days! Aside from being baptized, it was probably the best thing about turning eight. And I LOVED my Activity Days leader (who we'll call Sister Jones). Sister Jones always had the funnest activities planned, and one time we even got to make our own dolls!

Plus, she made really, really good brownies.

Sunday morning, I walked into church just like any other week, immediately making my way to my family's bench (because, yes, we did have our own designated seats, of course). I hugged Sister Jones on the way there and happily sat down next to my mother.

The meeting started - we sang a song I didn't know, someone said a pray I didn't really pay attention to, and then the bishop stood up to give announcements. Suddenly, I heard Sister Jones' name, and looked up to see her standing.

"Sister Jones has been released as Activity Days coordinator."

My jaw fell open. How could they do that?? It was an outrage! I folded my arms across my chest and pouted in a huff.

"I cannot sustain!" I announced to my mom as every raised their hands to the square.

She looked down at me with raised eyebrows, and in a whisper explained that by not raising my hand, I wasn't thanking Sister Jones for everything she'd done. My scowl turned into a frown of regret as I saw that lovely woman sit down, and I looked down at my lap, feeling very sad.

I didn't pay attention to who they called as the new Activity Days Coordinator - I was still incredibly upset. When we got home, I went to sit next to my mother on the couch.

"Mom," I whined, "why would they release Sister Jones? She's awesome!"

"Maybe Sister Johnson will be awesome, too," my mom assured me.

"But why?" I demanded. "It doesn't make any sense! She should keep doing it!"

"Maybe the Lord has something else He needs her to do," my mother explained. "We don't always know why people get called or released, but it's not our decision - it's the Lord's, and we just have to support them as they try to do what He wants."

I was very quiet after that. I hadn't really thought about how callings were decided before, but in that moment it started to sink in that there was more to it than someone being 'awesome' or the bishop deciding something needed to change.

So the next week, I went to Activity Days with a smile.

And yes, Sister Johnson was awesome too. And of course she was - Heavenly Father chose her, after all.

2 comments: