Thursday, November 2, 2017

Tender Mercy 2: The Abandoned Dollhouse

A pile of empty cardboard boxes was slowly forming in the living room as the morning drew on. When I was sure that I had enough for my project, I set off to gather glue, scissors, and markers as well.

Why? Because it was time for General Conference again! And that meant that we didn't have to go to church, so I had plenty of time to make the perfect dollhouse I'd been dreaming of while Mom and Dad listened to all those old guys talk on the TV.

When the music started, I hummed along while I set up my supplies, and was soon hyper-focused on my task. This wasn't going to be just any dollhouse. It was going to have at least 6 rooms, and all of them fully furnished! Soon enough, the bedroom on the top left started to take shape, and I excitedly started moving on to the next one -

"All right, kids, it's time to listen to the prophet," my dad announced.

My tongue sticking out of my mouth in concentration, I ignored him, trying to glue down the bed I'd just made in the perfect spot ...

"Tiff-girl," my father's voice sounded again. "Come sit on the couch, the prophet's talking."

I groaned quietly and pouted, but put down my precious project and went to sit next to my mom. I recognized the old man on the screen as President Hinckley, but it was always so hard to understand him. And yet, for some reason my parents always made us stop playing when he talked at General Conference.

As I leaned into my mother and she ran her fingers through my hair, I found myself starting to pay more attention than I had in the past. Maybe I was finally learning how to understand his voice, I'd heard it so much. But even though I didn't entirely understand everything he was saying, all of the sudden I felt a warm feeling come over me, like I was being covered by a blanket.

"He really is the prophet, huh?" I whispered.

"Mhmm," my mom responded quietly.

I sat up a little straighter, setting aside thoughts of what I would do next on my dollhouse, and for the first time really tried to listen to what the prophet was saying. And when he finished speaking, I didn't move, but stayed next to my mother as the next speaker took the pulpit.

No comments:

Post a Comment