Saturday, November 4, 2017

Lots of new things this week

So, surprise surprise, I actually didn't move haha, the assistants were confused about where my area was and tried to move us 20 minutes further from it ... we already live outside of our area and struggle with our allotted miles. So I said no haha.   We have two English companionships living with us now, both of them with brand new greenies.  It's been fun so far, but it's weird not having other Spanish sisters in the house! And like I said last week, I'm in the same area.  The sisters living with us are actually in a different zone, so it's weird that we don't have any of our meetings with them. The environment in the house is good - the greenies are really excited to be there so it's a positive atmosphere with excitement. 


I'm sure you want to hear more about Sister Fuimaono! . She's really an amazing woman. She was born in Samoa but has lived in Utah since she was about 9. She's hilarious and also really sweet. She's also really humble and always striving to learn more. And every time I leave the room, I come back to about 15 selfies of her on my phone. She's obsessed with taking pictures haha.     It was a crazy week, but a great one! You've already seen parts of it on Facebook with the story of Joyce - it truly was a miracle, and we've seen so many people being generous and giving us food. It's good because we thought that we would get our cards refilled last week, but it turns out that they won't be refilled until this coming weekend, so we won't be able to buy the things we were planning on. But we have more than enough and don't have anything to worry about. The Lord truly provides for His missionaries, and it's humbling to be on the receiving end of it! 

 In our last two days together, Sister Showalter and I found THREE new investigators, which was exciting! We have a lot of potential in the area to follow up with as well. There's almost too much to do, sometimes I feel very overwhelmed looking at the list of names on my phone and knowing that each is a precious child of God. I want so badly to help them feel His love.   

 We had an investigator that I found my very first week in the mission, last July. Well, she'd moved, but the sisters in Gilbert happened to knock on her door, and she still had the Book of Mormon that Sister Cedeno and I gave her with our testimonies written in it! She kept talking about us as her friends. It was tender to know that she remembered me! 

    Wednesday was the ward's trunk or treat, which was a lot of fun! There were a LOT of people
there, too, including a lot of investigators and less actives, which was great to see! We tried to facilitate fellowshipping without forcing it, and we think everyone had a good time. Be on the look out for new people when you're at activities, ask the missionaries who their investigators are and reach out, and it makes SUCH a difference!!  

 We had two great lessons with an investigator this week. She's truly growing in her faith, and she keeps all of the commitments we give her. She wants to know if it's true. She's also had some really, really awesome experiences in this week with receiving answers to prayers - she had a question, more of a curiosity really, and prayed about it. Immediately afterwards she ended up reading the Plan of Salvation pamphlet we gave her, and on the FIRST PAGE the question was answered. She said she was super surprised! But she also understands that her questions won't always be answered immediately, and she's willing to be patient. I love her!!!  

Biggest news of the week - KARLA GOT BAPTIZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if you remember me writing about her, Sister Hanson and I were teaching her a lot when I first moved down to Queen Creek, and she really wanted to make changes to join the church and come closer to Christ, but was so stressed with life and had a lot of challenges and obstacles in her way. Well, they continued working with her, and they started going to an English ward and she and her two kids who are old enough all got baptized on Saturday!!! It was so humbling to know that I was the smallest part of that, and there were SO many missionaries there because we've all worked with them. Karla was so happy,  I got to perform a musical number as part of the program, which was a privilege for sure.

We're not allowed to be proselyting or on the streets Halloween night so they're putting all the missionaries in the temple.  I'm excited!

 I was really impressed by Alma 45:1 - it talks about how the Nephites gave thanks to the Lord through fasting, which I had never, ever thought about before. Fasting I always thought about as something you do when you want or need something, not to show thanks. I've been reflecting a lot on it and changing the way I think about that act.

Love,
Hermana Garner

We also received some nice words for her new companion Sister Fuimaono

 I am doing great, this week has been awesome. Hermana Garner and I hit it off just great and I love her.  She has talents! I told Hermana Garner that I'm going to do all that I can to make her few last transfers the best! She is an amazing missionary that HAS power, She has been the biggest blessing already! I hope you know how FIRE  her Spanish is. She is awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment