Monday, October 23, 2017

Music Practice, Heavenly Homes, and Dancing With Piñas

Choir practice started this week for the Christmas concert!​ It's been exciting, and nerve-wracking at the same time. I didn't have a pianist, because neither of the ones in my area could make it, so I had to play out parts and direct with my other hand. Which was ... interesting. I'm looking forward to directing more and not having to focus on so many things at once haha.  But it went well overall! We also had a meeting with the narrators for the program to brainstorm a bit, and I used some techniques that I've learned throughout my schooling and teaching to generate ideas. As I was getting everything started, one of the other sisters said, "You should be a drama teacher." I laughed, thinking it was a joke. It turned out she had no idea that I am, in fact, a drama teacher. I guess it was just meant to be :)

  We had an incredibly humbling experience with a member that we met. She goes to an English ward, but she's from Ecuador and Spanish is her first language. Immediately, she welcomed us into her home and served us an impromptu dinner (which was a miracle, because we didn't have dinner that night, and it was GOOD). She lived in a small apartment with her two daughters, and there was furniture packed up the walls. Turns out they had just moved from a big house to that little apartment as a waypoint as they look for a new home. But the moment we stepped into that cramped little apartment, the spirit was overwhelming. That woman truly is celestial. As we visited with her, we learned of all that she's given up for the church - family, friends, even a house - and she is actively sharing the gospel with everyone she meets. Being in her home, I was reminded of Elder Bednar's talk, and I truly felt the same spirit that I feel in the temple. At one point, she said, "Satan has no power here," and it was true. Because of her faithfulness and her choice to be cheerful despite her circumstances, there was no way for the devil to enter that home. I strive to some day have half the faith that she has.  




with Ana Maria
And speaking of celestial homes, we got to go to the Mesa temple!! Normally in this mission we never get to go inside the Mesa temple, but Gilbert was closed for cleaning and our recent convert, Ana Maria, was getting her endowment, so we got special permission. It's beautiful inside, I have a newfound appreciation for it! And it was just wonderful to be in the temple again. We also saw Sister Weyand, who came back for it, which was so fun!  ​

reunited with Sister Weyand
In other news, we're going to be dancing this weekend. Somehow the members convinced us to take part in a traditional Mexican dance from Oaxaca, la baile de la pina, which celebrates the harvest of pineapples. So ... we're dancing with pineapples. It's going to be interesting for sure!​  


​ I was humbled and shocked by a visit that we made to a member. ​ I felt like we needed to show her a video about using technology to spread the gospel. As she was watching it, she started crying, and proceeded to tell us about her grandmother's funeral. In the middle of sharing some thoughts about her grandmother, she wanted to play "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" for those in attendance (the majority not members) and rather than going to LDS.org to find something, she went to facebook - and played the video that I recorded a couple weeks ago, holding her phone up to the microphone. She said that there were many people there who were touched by it, including her brother, who said he felt the spirit stronger than he has in a long time.  As I listened, I couldn't believe that the Lord had used the small prompting I received to record that video to reach people who I've never met all the way in Texas through this one member who saw it. Nothing is a coincidence, as Elder Rasband taught us in conference, and I felt the spirit confirm to me that I was an instrument in His hands in ways that I don't even know. I likely never would have known about her decision to share that video with her family and acquaintances. And it wasn't something that I needed to know - but it was something that strengthened me this week and showed me that yes, my efforts are making a difference, and in ways that I can't even see. 

Love,
Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment