Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The Test


Today marks the start of my last transfer ... and I'm getting transferred

This was one of the hardest weeks of my mission. Physically, emotionally, and mentally it was exhausting and more than once I found myself at the breaking point. But whenever I started to get really down, the Lord would always send me a tender mercy and comfort - just enough to keep me going.  

One of those tender moments was Saturday night. I was feeling extremely discouraged. I had been sick from my IC and a possible infection all week and was struggling with the motivation to push through it, particularly because one of my recent converts had been saying that she wanted to go back to her old church. I was laying on my bed during dinner hour feeling incredibly down and listening to music on my phone, when I heard the voice of my angel mother come out of the speakers. I listened as the words of the song rang through the air and penetrated my aching heart:  "Didn't He say He sent us to be tested? Didn't He say the way would not be sure? But didn't He say we would live with Him forevermore, Well and whole, If we but patiently endure? After the trial, we will be blessed! But this life is the test."  It brought me to tears as I lay there reflecting on those words, on the love I could feel from my Heavenly Father and the love I could feel from my earthly parents as I thought of how much they've done for me and continue to do for me. It was particularly tender to hear my mother's voice and be reminded of her strong testimony which has helped me to make it to where I am today, and has always strengthened me.  The Lord is truly mindful of us. 

 I also saw this principle in an experience that same night as we were out working - we had planned to go by a few potentials, but for some reason or another I felt like we needed to go by a member, but none of the members in the area were sticking out to me. We said a prayer, and as I was praying I had one of the English members we'd met in the area come to mind. I disregarded the thought (I love her as a person and thought I must just have wanted an excuse to see her) because she's strong in the gospel, she has her own son on a mission, and she's not even our stewardship since she's in an English ward. However, when I opened my eyes, I immediately saw her name on my phone - in the exact moment that I had finished praying, she had sent us a text asking for prayers on her behalf. We went by to visit her, and it was so clear how much the Lord knew she'd needed a visit that night, and how mindful He was of that and used us as His servants to fulfill that need, regardless of our assignment. We were available, so He used us.  

Though I've been in this area for a long time and am looking forward to a change my last transfer, I am also growing increasingly sad to say goodbye to all the people I've been working with since July. And we did see progress - two investigators came to church again and we had an incredibly spiritual lesson with them, we got back in with another investigator and were able to discern what he really needs with much more clarity, and one of our less active families came to church all together for the first time! With as hard as the week was, it was also full of miracles, and I pray and hope that I will be able to keep in contact with these people and continue to help and love and support them though it will be from more of a distance. 

Love,
Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment