Sunday, September 17, 2017


This link is a pretty funny video of Hermana Garner doing the "Untalent Show", she got second place and won a rubber pig nose!


It's been a good week! We're all kind of on edge right now though because everything with transfers is still completely up in the air. We have TWO new Spanish sisters, and President also wants to do zebra companionships (one Spanish sister, one English sister together covering a Spanish area and an English area) so there are too many factors to call it. I don't know where I'll be this week then haha but just go ahead and send letters to my current address, if I move the other sisters will get it to me.


I know I say this almost every week, but I don't know what happened to this week. Time is going by so fast.

We roasted marshmallows in our backyard (we have a firepit) and Sister Norgrant had the brilliant idea to put the marshmallows between oreos instead of graham crackers with chocolate.
They were AMAZING. It was also just super fun :)
I've definitely felt myself humbled this week and felt the Spirit prompting me to be a more and more dedicated servant, to increase my own testimony so I can help others. And my testimony truly is increasing. It's a wonderful experience. People think of change and repentance as something painful, but it's wonderful and joyful when it's done with pure intent.

We were antied by a couple people on Tuesday. One of them insisted that we don't believe in Jesus Christ ... I repeated the full name of the church, and he said, "No, no, no, you're Mormons." So ... that made no sense. But we just testified to him and left. Sometimes that's all you can do.


We had a great lesson that night though with some investigators! I don't know if I've talked about them at all in previous emails, but their son is a less active and they've been investigating on and off for a long time. We read 3 Nephi 11 with them and talked about the role of baptism, and why we're talking about it if they've already been baptized in other churches. Christ Himself speaks of giving authority to them and of them baptizing in ONLY the way that He teaches in this chapter, and that seemed to hit them. Sister Showalter had invited them to be baptized before (three times, actually) and they'd said no, but as we were talking I felt very strongly that I needed to invite them again. So I first invited them to pray to know if our church had the authority, and they said they would. Then I said, "And when you receive your answer that it is true, that the priesthood has been restored in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through Joseph Smith, will you be baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God?" They were both really quiet, but they nodded their heads. Hna Showalter was thrilled when we got back to the car, because it wasn't a flat out 'no.' We feel like theyr'e opening up and beginning to understand the gospel.

We've seen an amazing change in Jimmy this week. He has more hope and is really beginning to rely on the atonement to help him change. It's amazing and humbling to see him allowing more light into his life.

We also found a new investigator this week! He has a lot of questions and we're excited to get to teach him.

Saturday night was stressful - we were about to go out and try to visit some people when we got a somewhat panicked call from asking us to come help her fill out some papers. She got a new job that's going to pay better, so we were more than happy to do it (they were all in English, so she needed someone to help translate). Well, we got there, and it at first was the standard job forms that are easy ... and then we had to fill out tax forms. TAX forms. First of all, we had to read and understand them in English, and then we had to TRANSLATE them. My head hurt so much by the end of the night, it was definitely slow going! We were able to help her, but we still have to finish it tonight (there's a whole handbook she's supposed to read, and they didn't have a copy available in Spanish so we're translating it all to her ... I'm realizing how limited my Spanish vocabulary is.)

I've been repenting of not studying enough from Preach My Gospel. One thing that stuck out to me this week was that I need to pray less for the Lord to give us guidance and more to recognize that guidance, that I can be sensitive to the Spirit and follow His will.

 There was a verse that really stood out to me in this study - Isaiah 58:13-14, which has some great counsel and promises related to the Sabbath Day: "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it."

Also, I love the Old Testament. If I tried to share everything I've been learning from it I'd never end my emailing time haha, so I'll just exhort you all to study it :)

Love,
Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment