Monday, August 21, 2017

25 Baptisms This week in the Mission!

Sister Showalter and I both feel like this week was a day - one of the craziest days of my life, really. 
Every day we were running from here to there with almost no time to think about what we were doing, we were so busy. It's great, as stressful as it can be in the moment haha. 

Gloria's doing great since her baptism last week. On Monday we had a lesson at her house where she prepared the lesson and taught us about faith, and it was so good! She would be a great teacher in one of the auxiliaries, she was so prepared, she used scriptures from the Book of Mormon and the Bible as well as quotes from the Gospel Principles book. It was like she's been a member her whole life!

And we were blessed to have yet another baptism this week! Her name's Diana, and she's 8 years old about to turn 9. She and her mom have been investigating the church for a long time,  it was time for Diana to get baptized even though her mom still can't. It was such a spiritual service, and I got to give the talk on baptism. It's been really fun teaching Diana, too. She has a younger sister who's about 5 and they're both so smart and attentive. We wanted to make the lessons a bit more fun for them, so we started acting out Book of Mormon stories, and they LOVE it! I do too, of course - it reminds me of when I was student teaching in the elementary school.

Jimmy's still doing good, and he's really progressing, but he's not going to make his baptismal date for this Saturday. He's really working hard to quit smoking though and has been feeling and recognizing the spirit more and more. Last night he came to the New Member Fireside, which is held at the church right by the Gilbert temple, and he got out of his car and couldn't stop staring at the temple, he just kept saying, "I feel something ... I really feel something ..." He's so humble as he's working to repent, and acknowledges where he can put more effort in to do so. Keep praying for him, I have no doubt he'll get there it's just a matter of when!

In other news, I don't remember if I told you or not, but I'm now the Music Coordinator for the mission. That means that I set up all the musical numbers for zone conferences and firesides, and will be doing the Christmas program come December. Of course it's something I love, but this weekend has been a bit stressful! We had to throw together a musical number for the New Member Fireside yesterday, and then Sister Wheeler called and told me that I needed to give them ALL of the information about who's going to be performing and what they'll be performing for Elder Anderson's visit next Tuesday ... by this morning. I didn't have time to really look over music, so I just prayed really hard and was able to be guided by the spirit in who and what to choose. It's been a humbling experience, but I'm also feeling the pressure of making sure the musical number is really ready for the visit from an apostle next week! Of course, what I'm always more focused on is the spirit than the sound, but why not be strong in both? :PI'm really looking forward to the rest of this transfer, but I can't believe how fast it's already flown by!

Something that stuck out to me in Alma 29:1-4 was that it talks about how we need to declare repentance to all people, and that as we do that sorrow will leave the earth. What an amazing promise!

Love,
Hermana Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment