Monday, August 29, 2016


When You're Focused on the Work, the Days Don't Seem Long Enough


I feel like time is going by so incredibly fast. I can't believe I've been in Arizona for over a month,  When you're focused on the work, the days don't seem nearly long enough to see everyone you want to see and do everything you want and need to do. Okay, first off - LUIS! He is absolutely amazing. He came to noche de hogar (which was a MIRACLE thanks to your prayers!) and really enjoyed it. He specifically talked about how there was something different about the people there and he just felt really comfortable, which is awesome.  Both of the lessons were filled with the spirit, and we're seeing miracles!The coolest thing this week happened at the end of our lesson with him on Thursday. We were about to leave, and he stopped us and said (in Spanish, so I'm paraphrasing some), "Before you go, I want to tell you something. I was praying to God for more direction and to know what I needed to do in my life to get closer to Him and find more happiness. That was the afternoon that you came to my door and told me that you had a message about how we can find joy through Christ. Any other day I would have rather been sleeping than talking to you, but that day I figured I would be stupid after having prayed that prayer to ignore what you were saying." It was incredible!! He's already recognizing the spirit in his life and how the Lord is answering his prayers and giving him guidance! Also, his prayers are always so beautiful and moving. He said that same night in his prayer, "Thank you for preparing me for something greater, so I can understand the things your daughters are teaching me." And when we met with him on Saturday, he prayed, "I put my life in your hands. Help me to know and follow your path."  He's so sincere.  
So, we're having a lot of trouble getting our investigators to actually come to church, which is frustrating. On Saturday we'll be fasting for them, in the hopes that we'll see miracles. Obviously none of you will be fasting on Saturday, but if you could remember to include that in your prayers I know it would help tremendously!!Last thing - I got glasses today. Turns out I have a slight bit of near-sightedness and astigmatism. It's crazy because I never thought I had blurry vision at all, but after having the exam it was amazing the difference. 
I've learned SO much in my studies this week, especially this morning! One of the principle things has been just how perfectly and individually Our Father in Heaven knows me. Questions that I didn't even quite realize that I had have been answered.  There's real power in reading the scriptures every day and devoting that time to understanding more the nature of God and our divine nature as His children!  
Isaiah 26:3-4 - "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength." This  is a scripture that is now one of my favorites! It's such a scripture of hope, and really helps us to understand what it is that the Lord wants for each one of His children and how we can achieve it - simply by trusting in Him always.
Mark 12:41-44 - This is the story of the widow casting in her tithe. The last line of verse 44 says, "but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living." It made me think about the calling to be a missionary, and about casting in all that I have to the Lord, and how I can continue to do so once I return from my mission and am released. We're not asking to give all of our money to the Lord, but we are asked to consecrate our lives and efforts to Him and His purposes, and as we do that we will be incredibly and eternally blessed.
 I've found such joy and comfort in the scriptures over the past two months and encourage you to ensure that you're ALWAYS doing your daily scripture study!!
Love, Hermana Garner


No comments:

Post a Comment